Éric Rohmer enjoyed a remarkable career. Between 1949, when he started work on his first short film, to the release of his final effort, The Romance of Astrea and Celadon, in 2007, Rohmer directed some 28 features, as well as numerous shorts and documentaries, many of them masterpieces.
The Comedies and Proverbs series brings together six of the Éric Rohmer’s best; the first entry in the series, The Aviator’s Wife, sees François become obsessed with the idea that his Girlfriend is being unfaithful. A Good Marriage follows Sabine in her pursuit of matrimony with Edmond, who it seems is the only person that doesn’t know the two are set to marry. In Pauline at the Beach the titular Pauline and her cousin Marion discover lovers new and old during a summer vacation. Full Moon in Paris centres on Louise who although in a relationship with Remi seeks the freedom of single life. The Green Ray sees Delphine let down by her holiday companion, travelling alone she witnesses a remarkable natural phenomenon. The sixth and final tale in the series, My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend, tells the story of new-to-town Blanche and her colleague Léa whose relationships become entangled.
Region B Blu-ray : Australian compatible.
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of six Éric Rohmer features: The Aviator’s Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris, The Green Ray, My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend
- Original French mono soundtracks (uncompressed PCM)
- Optional English subtitles
- Introductions to The Aviator’s Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris and The Green Ray by Éric Rohmer
- In depth appreciation of Rohmer by filmmaker and actor Richard Ayoade
- Effraction: Tchéky Karyo, an hour-long French television documentary profile of the Full Moon in Paris actor
- On-set report from the making of My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend
- Archive interview with André Dussollier on The Aviator’s Wife
- Archive interview with Claude-Jean Philippe and Caroline Champetier on Pauline at the Beach
- Archive interview with Arielle Dombasle on Pauline at the Beach
- Archive interview with Pascale Ogier on Full Moon in Paris
- Archive interview with Marie Rivière on The Green Ray
- Changing Landscapes, a 1964 documentary short directed by Rohmer
- Audio interview with Rohmer
- Trailers for all six films
- Reverible sleeves featuring six artwork options