The world of Gilbert and Sullivan comes to vivid life in director Mike Leigh’s extraordinary dramatization of the staging of the duo’s legendary 1885 comic opera The Mikado. Jim Broadbent and Allan Corduner brilliantly inhabit the roles of the world-famous Victorian librettist and composer, who, along with their troupe of temperamental actors, must battle personal and professional demons while mounting this major production. A lushly produced epic about the harsh realities of creative expression, featuring bravura performances and Oscar-winning costume design and makeup, Topsy-Turvy is an unexpected period delight from one of contemporary cinema’s great artists.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Dick Pope, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- Audio commentary featuring director Mike Leigh
- New video conversation between Leigh and musical director, Gary Yershon
- Leigh’s 1992 short film A Sense of History, written by and starring actor Jim Broadbent
- Deleted scenes
- Featurette from 1999 including interviews with Leigh and cast members
- Theatrical trailer and TV spots
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by film critic Amy Taubin
- Region B Blu-ray : Australian compatible
There are no reviews yet.