From the inimitable Billy Wilder (Double Indemnity, The Lost Weekend) comes this 1948 classic comedy that mixes romance with hard-boiled wit in a story about stiff-necked Iowa congresswoman Phoebe Frost (Jean Arthur – Shane) mired in jaded postwar Berlin. As she investigates the morale of American troops, Phoebe is cynically wooed by fellow Iowan Captain John Pringle (John Lund), who is trying to cover up his affair with Nazi-tainted chanteuse Erika von Schlütow (Marlene Dietrich – Witness for the Prosecution, The Blue Angel).
Filled with sharp dialogue and satiric jabs, A Foreign Affair is one of Wilder’s most beloved comedies.
- 1080p presentation on Blu-ray
- Uncompressed LPCM 2.0 audio
- Audio commentary by film historian Joseph McBride
- New video piece on the film by critic Kat Ellinger
- Two radio adaptations of A Foreign Affair, broadcast as part of the Screen Directors Playhouse in 1949 and 1951. Featuring the voices of Billy Wilder, Marlene Dietrich, Rosalind Russell, John Lund, and Lucille Ball
- Archival interview with Billy Wilder
- Theatrical trailer
- A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas; a new essay by critic Richard Combs; and more!
- Region B Blu-ray : Australian compatible